They talk like adults, they are polite and considerate and caring. They write so well, read well, and all. Sometimes I forget they're just kids. =)
Some time ago my colleague told me that she saw a bunch of kids doing something, which they were not supposed to, but it wasn't carved in the school rule rock. So she just let them be. She said, "Oh well, I just let them enjoy their childhood and just be children." It came to me that I've been expecting and pushing them towards 'perfection' and obedience and perfect discipline, because I'm the teacher and I'm supposed to teach and ensure their safety and everything. So NO running, NO noisy feet, NO shouting, NO this NO that. And sometimes I worried that kids who are so 'good' are the boring kids who are too good to think out of the box when it comes to problem solving because they just listen and never think for themselves.
So these days, I loosen up a bit. When there are things that won't endanger themselves or others, or kill me due to mess/noise/nonsense intolerant, I'd think of what she said, "let them just be kids and enjoy their childhood" =)
No comments:
Post a Comment