Play

I mainly teach 2 classes: the (1.5to2+) and the 5 year olds. Excluding the phonics and Music&Movement.

For the 1.5to2+, it naturally involves a lot of singing, dancing, painting, games, toys and all sorts of fun. And mainly the fact that we're a playschool we don't do "READ YOUR ABC NOW OR DIE" that kind of teaching, especially not to toddlers anyways.

Then with my 5 year olds, while the Mandarin and BM teachers are preparing them for formal primary education (AKA sit down, look at the board, and write your thing, quick! no nonsense), I still do a lot of play. Mainly because of the curriculum is still very playful compared to average kindergartens out there. Of course, we do writing and reading and all, but on top of all that, we discuss, share and create. There are games, discussions, trips, discovery and fun.
 I allow a significant amount of time for free play (with the learning center tools), and try to make time for playground play. Because I believe in the power of play. Children learn best expressing their ideas, socializing, running around with friends, instead of sitting and absorbing every fact the teacher has to tell.

Some days the curriculum is too heavy children will have reduced time playing. Then I'll whine that my 5 year olds get very stressed and little time to play. One day she said, "You have to change your mindset, it is wrong. 5 year olds can sit and learn quietly, no more playing for them (during class time). They're 5, they've played enough."

I was so taken aback. First I was taking it very personally when she assumed I was wrong. Secondly, hello? We're in a playschool? Why would parents want to send their kids to a play based school if they don't want them to learn through play? Of course, there are a lot of parents who thinks that their children should sit and listen quietly and stop playing because they are going to primary school, but heck, if you think all your child should do in school is that then this is the wrong place to send your child to. I'm not trying to change your mindset, but this place doesn't cater for your needs wants.

To date, I still allow an ample amount of time for my children to play during class. We do our sitting down, discussion, reading and wrtting, but that's not all to it. When you're done with your work, use your English,  play together, don't hurt anyone or anything, you're good to play freely.
I teach my children to be serious and ready for class, then we can cover the materials efficiently, which makes time for play.

Today I saw my 5 year old who had poor motor skills (and ran like a baby a few months ago when he joined us) ran like the wind, chasing after his friends playing catch. He was so confident and stable in taking big steps. He looked so free and happy, it was a magical moment.

Play is a very powerful tool, be it structured play or free play.

No comments: