Peers and their careers

Was just looking through my friends list in FB. It seems, it seems, that most of my peers are out in the work field. So guess what.

Almost everyone's got a bombastic job. Either in a multinational company, or got an awesome job title. Yup I'm being the sour grape here, for being a teacher in a preschool. I mean, I'm glad about it, but from comparison, of course I would lose too much to someone who's working in "Ernst and Young", or someone who's a Chief Operation Officer, or whatever...

You know?
I'm not working under the government, so no "Works with the Ministry of ..."
I'm not working in a multinational company.
I don't have a bombastic job title.
I don't even earn that enough.

I'm surviving, I'm contented. But I can't help wondering if it would be different. If I haven't made up my mind to work with kids that early, would I have taken some time to wonder a little, try this and that. Jump into a demanding company, meet lots of different people, get involved in larger than me projects, earn big bucks, get flown here and there... Because I know I am capable of those. I see people less capable than me doing it big, challenging their work and growing tall. Yet I'm here. Working at a place the society perceives as "for not-so-high-achievers", earning average, handling jobs that do not require high intelligence but skills, unstressful easy job that 'everyone can do, but would do only temporarily, or after they retire'.

I know this is what I want. And I'm happy doing it. But just can't help to wonder, if it would have been different..

No comments: