Successful. Define.

Some days I click on my FB friends' profiles and check out what they're doing. Are they furthering their studies? Are they still whining about exams? Are they working? Are they traveling overseas?

Sometimes I realize that many of my age, are successfully working in big companies, some even in big companies overseas. They work with a team of ang mohs, they go to big restaurants that we've never heard the names before, they seemed successful.

I get envious, of how the same batch of people (me and them) could end up in so different places. They're successful at such a young age, lead a team of caucasions and westerners, earn big bucks, eat expensive, while I earn so little, eat cheap bread, and lead a team of nobody, and is doing a job which the society thinks is 'easy' and 'worthless'. I get envious, of how they have so much to spend while I don't. I get envious, I'm sure people would praise them for being so successful at such young age, and look at them with admiration.

But I ask myself if that's what I want. And I know this is good enough. To know that I may be a small fry who makes a meaningful difference to tomorrow's world, not economically, not technically, but morally and for the society's well being as a whole. I may not achieve the goal so big, but at least I know my place and meaning very well. And I'm comfortable being not rich and not looked upon. =)

No comments: