Voice

This throat infection and hoarseness has really taught me something. But how long does the lesson learned effect last, we shall see.
The thing bout hoarseness is that sounds produces in high pitches are not produced, only the low timbers can be heard. So, working in a preschool with loads of active 2 year olds, yelling is my thing, because it's loud and sharp, it gets the kids attention in a snap. But heck, the inflammation has killed my ability to talk in loud voice, and no yelling.

A little joke:
Yesterday I noticed my voice getting worse, I walked into the 4 year old class and asked,
"Children, do I sound different, or is it just me? "
Edwin cool-ly told me, "It's just you teacher, it's just you."
OMG this kid! That's the thing about kids, they're so random and hilarious.

Anyways. This morn I was pouring a kid his drink when the 2 year old came and shook my hands for attention. I 'yelled'. "HEY! WHY DID YOU SHAKE MY HANDS SEE ALL THE WATER SPILLED AND WET EVERYWHERE SAY SORRY TO YOUR FRIEND!" At normal circumstances that should be loud and shocking due to its speed produced, but today it's just the kid staring at my moving mouth without any voice coming out. The kid actually was dumbfounded by my screaming face and screaming mouth but no voice coming out.

So yeah, you can imagine how my day is when trying to call a kid or tell them to stop/ start doing something. It's like I need to pause, take a deep breath and use my low manly voice.

The moral of the 'story' is that, I realize, most times, although yelling is much faster and convenient, children appreciate it when I don't go loud and react so fast. They actually appreciate it and listened to me when I spoke slowly and very very softly (because no sound coming out WTH). And I became more relaxed instead of upset about every small thing the kid does (side effect of trying to pretend that I'm not happy with the misbehavior). Of course at emergency moments I wouldn't be able to do anything much from afar because yelling would be more efficient to stop a kid from harming another kid, but oh well what to do. ...

No comments: