Satisfaction

I asked the piano teacher, what satisfaction she gets from doing her job. She's been teaching piano for 15 years now, so I asked her what kept her going. She told me lots, from flexible time, easy, this and that, to earning more money than peers.

But I didn't hear her saying she's happy because of her children, because they learned and are a better person because of her. Her satisfaction came from within, but only within.

I'm not saying she's bad, but many do it for the money and for the wrong reasons. A clerk may be typing all day long in the office not knowing what the document is for and where it will take her, versus one who works for meaning, knowing that her little actions and completion of work tasks makes a difference in the company and even the world, in the slightest way. That makes a difference.

When we hung out in a gang, friends whine about their bosses and their colleagues, they whine about their customers and their suppliers, they think of quitting but are driven by the handsome pay they get. When I tell little jokes that I have in school, I feel small and insignificant and unimportant. But then I gave it a good think. I realized when people have nasty stories to share about their work, I have fun stories to tell because I enjoy work that much, and it's always so fun to me.

To me, "going to work" means an entirely different thing to me than most people. I love going to work because I know when I do, I make a difference in one person's life, and it will bring a change to the world, no matter how slight, I am making a change.

No comments: