Cleanse

I used to travel a lot, swear to live next to my working place, only to get a job at this place which is 1 hour drive away from my house.

First few weeks I spent 1 hour to 1 hour fro work everyday, in the car it's sad. It's like the puke and saliva and germs from the kids will multiply and grow only to welcome me the next morning while I inhale it for an hour. I feel like I waste hours and hours of my life every day.

Then I learned to open the windows and enjoy the fresh air with the carbon monoxide.

Then I learned to take the ferry. I have time to read or make phone calls, sms or just be lazy while waiting; to walk out of the car and see the waves and feel the sea breeze. I've always loved taking the ferry, even Jo knows that, now I love it more. It makes my 1 hour so peaceful and enjoyable. It's like cleansing my soul after a tired day of mucus and poop and disobedience.

-----

I know, people always give me that 'oh-so-you're-an-idiot' look whenever I tell them I got my degree and is teaching in a preschool. It's like the unwritten rule in the Malaysian Chinese society that university graduates don't work in kindergartens unless they're disabled in some sort of way.

And then they ask where is it, and when the answer is revealed they give me that 'oh-so you're-really-an-ultimate-idiot" look. *sigh*

5 comments:

Ling said...

台湾神经学系的洪兰教授说:“人生里要留下一些空白,那可以让我们好好沉淀,好好思考自己在做什么。最后的人生啊!从眼前飘过,我们总要觉得自己活过,觉得充实,那才叫来过人间” 呵呵!加油!

别人不明白你没关系,做给他们看。他们表现出那种表情的那一刻,并没有把自己的痛苦挖出来让你看,谁说他们做的工作就有几好,谁说就有几快乐呢?

与其看着不明白你的人,倒不如看着明白你的人。我相信,你自己就是那个值得看着的最好的人。

lai thin said...

i know right. sigh..their obsession with status and prestige and money. who says preschool teachers don't have them? to the kids, their teachers could be their role model, their favourite persons, their friend. though sometimes you're their ultimate enemy..

but when my students greet me voluntarily, or look to me when they need help, or smile at me like i'm their favourite person, or suddenly do sth i didn't expect them to be able to, i feel most happy.

who's to say i'm an idiot? even though my salary is just enough for me to sustain my lifestyle...this is what i want out of life. and i'm living it. i'd rather live like that than have regrets later.

(i think that's my longest comment ever =.=)

YY * 然尹 said...

love lai thin comment. u r not an idiot. that i can say. =)

Khayshi said...

Hey thanks for affirming you guys. =)
I'm good and happy with the job, I have moments of joy every day at work.

I know people are just un-understanding, and this is a good choice I've made. It's just that sometimes I feel other people's opinion make me sways me, I'm trying to sort this problem out. And you guys are of great help. =)

Shekoko said...

Oh well..just remember that those ppl are probably stuck in a job they hate just because they care so much abt status and shit.. You, on the other hand, are doing what you love and get the satisfaction out of your job every.single.day. So who cares man.. And yeap, lai thin said it perfectly!