I remember the first few days I was here the boys were fighting.
After the Therapeutic Play course I was really insensitive to violence. The boys fought and I just let them, until someone bleed and he came whining to me, "Teacher, look! He hit me and I'm bleeding!"
I dully replied, "That's what happens when you choose to fight. You're the one who wanted to fight, don't come crying to me when you get hurt." I was sticking really close to the principle of 'let the child suffer the natural consequences of his behavior' WTH.
So the next day the principal had a talk with me. I don't know if she saw it or just wanted to remind me. She said, we should teach the children to play nice and don't let them do violent things, play violent acts and all.
This reminded me that I'm no therapeutic play agent in the school, I'm a teacher and I'm supposed to teach the children how they're supposed to behave and be. I can't tolerate socially undesirable behaviors like fighting or jumping off the chairs, I have to make them conform to the society's expectations, know the vocabularies, know the ABCs, good table manners, sit still, eat faster, eat more, say 'please' and 'thank you' and 'excuse me', learn the rules, play nice, .....
No comments:
Post a Comment