Learning to Play

Learning about play
It's really a lot of fun. Well, learning about the thing that interests me the most in the world is just awesome.
I've learned that I've been 'playing' with children the 'wrong' way. Somehow my way of speech and behavior could be detrimental to building children's esteem and their growth to their maximum potential.

Though play therapy isn't exactly my thing (repeating everything the child said, no stand/opinion in the play, mere observer and forced participation, cannot be any directive or voice my opinion) (sometimes I come up with my brilliant ideas when I play with kids, how am I to survive without suggesting to the kid what other wonders the toys can posisbly be?)
anyways... back to the sentence: though play therapy isn't exactly my thing, I've learned a lot from the classes. What to do to best build a child's confidence, letting the child to set his own pace and go with it, how to set limits and provide alternatives, that aggression is acceptable if it's controlled etc etc.

It's a really nice class, one of the very few topics that I felt really relevant and interesting. =)

No comments: