Language I can speak

Today, my topic is the languages I can speak.

I can speak Hokkien because I am a Penangnite. But my Hokkien is not so fluent because although we speak it at home, we usually mix it about with English words here and there. The best, most fluent Hokkien is when I order food from hawker stall.
"Kali-mee mai ham ke tau geh nor pua, ji pua mai huan jieou"
"Kopi-O peng jia!"

Other than that, of course I can also speak a bit of English. However my english is not very British as it is pretty much influenced by the Manglish and American English. So, unless you are a Malaysian, you can't really understand what I say unless you are very familiar with British English, American English and Malaysian English + Slang.

When I went to kindy, I was forced to learn Mandarin or else I would be alienated by kids who all only speak HuaYu. Even though I was in Chinese Schools until high school (all together 14 years), my Mandarin is not China. But if you throw a bunch of China men in front of me and expect me to understand, yes I can, almost 60% of it. Forget it if the China men starts to talk in 4-letter proverbs.

Then being Malaysian, I'm also forced to learn Malay Language. Not that it's not a good language, it's just not widely spoken in other countries, not even in our own country. Anyway, when dealing with government sector, it's hard to get something done if your Malay Language is tak boleh jalan. I got A in all my Malay tests in Government examinations, but I doubt I can speak well. No worries though, I can still order food and scold people when necessary.
"Oi, roti canai teluk belum datang, manyak lama oi!"

Since young I watch a lot of TVB drama and have learned more or less. Provided that the person don't talk any faster than the actor and actresses from HongKong, I can understand and sometimes, reply. After coming to KL, I have many episodes which require me to converse in the dialect, and yes I may say my spoken Cantonese has improved a little. At least the customer understood me.
"Si ha tai, li ko hou yam keh. chang jap"

Then I took up Korean language out of fun. Of course some basic conversation (very very basic) I can still cope, but only if the sentence is in Formal Polite form, which native speakers rarely use. But anyway, I can ask simple questions, such as "is this a book" or "where is the toilet". As my teacher said, "with this, you can survive in korea, for one week."
"Han gu ro rel, kong bu ham ni da"


No comments: